Dr. Saad Saad: Cough It Up!

Dr. Saad Saad has practiced medicine for over forty years and as a world-renowned pediatric surgeon, he has had his share of the all too common incident involving the removal of a foreign object from the throat of a child.

He has personally seen to the care of thousands of children who have ended up in this predicament.

Dr. Saad Saad understands that it only takes one second and the next moment a child has swallowed something they should not have.

As scary as this situation is for parents, there are signs to tell if a child has swallowed a foreign object and emergency steps a parent should take that could end up saving their child’s life.

Most young children are bursting with curiosity and have a habit of putting just about anything in their mouths. In most cases, the child is fortunate in that the swallowed item will pass through the throat and ends up in the child’s stomach without any serious issues. Learn more about Dr. Saas Saad: https://medium.com/@dr1saadsaad

If the object ends up stuck in the throat, there are a few things a parent can do at home. If their child is younger than six, the parent may be able to hold their child upside down by their legs and pat their back.

A child of an older age can have the Heimlich maneuver performed on them. If the object remains stuck, then they should immediately go to the emergency room. Parents should strongly refrain from trying to scoop an abject out of a child’s throat with there fingers, as this will only further complicate matters. Read more: When a Child Swallows a Foreign Object – Advice by Dr. Saad Saad and Dr. Saad Saad | Facebook

Doctors in the emergency room will start off with an x-ray to see if the object is caught in the throat. An x-ray has its limitations and will not catch every object. If the x-ray fails, the doctor should either perform a bronchoscopy or an esophagoscopy.

These are procedures that Dr. Saad has performed numerous times in his professional career. One of his contributions to medicine was that he developed an improvement for endoscopes that made the procedure much simpler for doctors to perform.

With many years of successful medical practice. Dr. Saad has pinpointed two objects that he said are most detrimental for young children regarding swallowing.

He believes that batteries are the very most dangerous object that a child can swallow. Some batteries are extremely small and easy for a child to swallow. If a child swallows a battery, the battery can leak acid inside a child’s throat or stomach.

Dr. Saad recommends that parents are aware of what kind of electronics a child is playing with Dr. Saad believes peanuts are the second most dangerous thing because they can expand once trapped in the throat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *